Forum Content

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forum Content

Post by shalbatana on 18/1/2013, 05:55

Hi all,
It was the end (again) but the moment has been prepared for.

I'll have all the relevant files and info from the old site up in a few days. I've worked very hard over the past few years to keep backups of all "essential" forum posts.

"Don't worry admiral, we'll have the fleet up and running within a month"....oh wait.... wrong show.

shalbatana
Security Chief
Security Chief

Брой мнения : 27
Activity points : 15102

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Content

Post by bojidar4oto on 18/1/2013, 18:26

Very well. Thanks! Smile

bojidar4oto
Forum administrator
Forum administrator

Брой мнения : 56
Activity points : 15441
Местожителство : Earth, Europe, Bulgaria, Lom

View user profile http://facebook.com/theinvisiblesniper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20/1/2013, 07:55

We have all backups for site and forum, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Firstones guys say that the attack was originated from and directed to IFH forums. I'm not sure we will be allowed to stay on their servers any longer. So, we might be thinking about moving somewhere else. Also, we need more secure forum and site software.
We can stay here for a while, of course, thanks to Bojidar (that translates as "God's gift", by the way)! But in the greater scheme of things, we need to find our own place to live, again. I really start to feel like Reef Troiden here (inside joke)...

Back to top Go down

Post by bojidar4oto on 20/1/2013, 21:18

...the attack was originated from and directed to IFH forums.

As far as I know, this is the second time you guys get hacked. If the first time the mechanism was the same, then maybe someone is trying to prevent you from releasing the game. If that guy manages to hack the server quietly(like a completely silent virus), he could get your IPs and then hack your computer. Sadly you couldn't find out until it's too late, so it's best to have a backup computer(or just HDD) that is not connected to the Internet in any way. And a tough antivirus, monitor for traffic from-to your computer through your ports...
I know I sound weird, but today EVERYTHING is possible. People try to stop you, because they realise your products are much better and since the game is a freeware everyone's gonna play it.
An example: BREED. The game had some bugs caused by CDV messing up with the scripts. Then those "bugs" were a bit exaggerated everywhere and people didn't play it. There's still some players, but are very few. The game was released in 2004 and had a bit better graphics and sound then almost any game back then. Now Gamespy suddenly stopped their MP support. You can play on a LAN network, but no internet... Everyone sabotaged it, I beg you!
Anyway, I mean people today make everything to be sure their product will buyed and even in unfair ways!

bojidar4oto
Forum administrator
Forum administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20/1/2013, 21:48

That would be the most stupid way of trying to prevent our release... Gives us kind of additional motivation.
I guess our home/work computers protected well enough, otherwise they'd have been attacked too.

Back to top Go down

Post by bojidar4oto on 21/1/2013, 00:45

But it's not impossible. Stupid, but motivates a terrible revenge! Very Happy cherry

Nice new theme, by the way! I love you

bojidar4oto
Forum administrator
Forum administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by shalbatana on 23/1/2013, 05:29

Well, I can see the need to plug a hole, but it's like they [firstones] are blaming IFH for this. What happened to working with your clients to fix the issue rather than just kicking them out?

That aside, I would bet that it's not an attack at the game itself, so much as at the forum domain. It's not a coincidence (at least not in my mind) that most locations in New York City are unable to log in to the forums for over a year now, yet the same computers/people, etc can login from just outside the city. (not just my experience btw, though I was never able to determine if it was a ISP hack or some node thing...because the ISP was so diligent in helping me with the issue).

Anyway, a free forum is a fine thing for now I think.

shalbatana
Security Chief
Security Chief

Брой мнения : 27
Activity points : 15102

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zosolias on 19/2/2013, 15:37

The best protection is a distributed backup. The more computers have the game files, the less the chance of wiping them all out.

That said, I don't know what the state of the game is at this time. I know Renderer et al. were working on the next release (do I still owe you any recordings?), but I don't know how close things were to being finished.

The already released is in the hands of lots of gamers and safe insofar as no one can wipe out all the copies.

This really frosts me. I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Z

zosolias
IFH: Voice star

Брой мнения : 1
Activity points : 14661

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19/2/2013, 21:44

In short: site and forums perished in the attack, the development was never affected in any way. I just PM-ed you some details... Smile
I'm sooo glad you joined us here, Rich!
For those who might be unaware: Zosolias is the voice of Nikolai Shevchenko, so Bojidar, please make him a nice custom status! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top