The Regulus Incident

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Regulus Incident

Post by KevinLaity on 4/2/2013, 08:25

Hi Everybody,

Lately I've been toying with the idea of building my own space-based fighter sim. Two months ago I decided that before I do that, I should play around with building my own missions in IFH.

I started with a small, simple mission that ended up turning into a highly complicated two-month labour of love. And so here I present to you:

The Regulus Incident - v1.0 [installer]
The Regulus Incident - v1.0 [zip]

UPDATE: Just realized my file host was taken down a while back. The above file has been moved to a new host, but I lost the installer version when my hard drive crashed earlier this year, so you're stuck with the zip version for now.

The mission takes place in late 2261, during the earth alliance civil war. It tells the story of a fighter wing that's forced to choose a side in that morally ambiguous war. I wanted to create a mission where the player would actually get to choose which side of the war he is on. Therefore the mission has two endings.

This is a beta, so at this point I'm throwing it out there in the hopes that people will give me feedback on any bugs they encounter.

All of the characters are currently voiced by text-to-speech engines, but I've worked hard to coax the best emotions I could out of them. I hope it's not too distracting. Also, sorry that it does not yet come with a fancy installer.

Prerequisites:

- I've Found Her 1.15 RC6

NOTE: This mission pack makes use of a hack to make the comm system work interactively in the context of the game. Because of this, the following keys must be bound to their defaults: C,9,0 and 1.

Last edited by KevinLaity on 8/12/2013, 12:11; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Moved file host)

KevinLaity
Ensign
Ensign

Брой мнения : 7
Activity points : 16063

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Regulus Incident

Post by bojidar4oto on 4/2/2013, 21:17

Very, very well.

Only one bug: after I join the Epsilon squadron, hitting them makes the RG-41 hostile to me.
bojidar4oto
Forum administrator
Forum administrator

Брой мнения : 56
Activity points : 16631
Местожителство : Earth, Europe, Bulgaria, Lom

View user profile http://facebook.com/theinvisiblesniper

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinLaity on 5/2/2013, 01:43

bojidar4oto wrote:
Only one bug: after I join the Epsilon squadron, hitting them makes the RG-41 hostile to me.

Thank you, I will look into that. I will wait a while in case more bug reports come in, and then I will release a 1.0

KevinLaity
Ensign
Ensign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bojidar4oto on 7/2/2013, 05:15

Moderator/Administrator action report:
-------------------------------------
Topic moved to D&O Custom files.
Reason: Topic inappropriate for "General discussion"
bojidar4oto
Forum administrator
Forum administrator

Брой мнения : 56
Activity points : 16631
Местожителство : Earth, Europe, Bulgaria, Lom

View user profile http://facebook.com/theinvisiblesniper

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinLaity on 10/2/2013, 06:17

I've released version 1.0 with the following changes:

- Created an installer package
- Fixed a bug where firing on your allies after switching sides would make them hostile to you
- Lowered the ambient light of the environment
- Made the destruction of the transport and the station slightly more awesome

Download here:

The Regulus Incident - v1.0 [installer]
The Regulus Incident - v1.0 [zip]

UPDATE: See main post for updated links.

Feedback and bug reports are still welcome!

Last edited by KevinLaity on 8/12/2013, 12:27; edited 2 times in total

KevinLaity
Ensign
Ensign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shalbatana on 14/2/2013, 04:51

Thanks man!
I'll check it out on my happy new computer system at home that has yet to actually see any D&O action.
shalbatana
Security Chief
Security Chief

Брой мнения : 27
Activity points : 16292

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinLaity on 15/2/2013, 12:35

Great! I look forward to hearing your feedback! Smile

KevinLaity
Ensign
Ensign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15/2/2013, 18:20

The briefing is one of the best I have seen of all the Player Created Custom Missions!

The trick you use to enable a choice between Clark and B5 forces is COOL!

The text-to-speech computer voice is not that bad, it is better than nothing. I do not have any hardware or software to help you at this time with voice overs.

I did find an omission, when you die you do not have anything in the Debriefing. You could try a generic message if you can not do a different end for both Clark or B5 type debriefing for being KIA.

***************** MISSION FAILED *****************

SUBJECT: Regulus Incident

REASON: Gamma 1 was Killed In Action.

Why was the kobayashi maru is distroyed? Was it just in the wrong place at the wrong time? or was it to show the the EAS Tripoli's captian is as evil as Clark?

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinLaity on 16/2/2013, 01:52

Hey Citinze5150,

Good point about the debriefing, it wasn't really a priority for me but in a future release I will fix that.

In the briefing Fergusson (Tripoli Captain) mentions two things:
- that RG-41 may be planning to run the blockade and ferry supplies to Babylon 5.
- the Tripoli's orders include destroying ANY ships found in the area.

The Maru is about to jump out, so the Tripoli is obeying orders by killing it, just in case. Fergusson is a coward and he doesn't care about he moral implications of following orders, he just does it.

He's also right - the Maru IS ferrying supplies to Babylon 5! I wanted to add to the moral ambiguity of the mission by having the player be able to see that there is some small justification for all this, and it's not 100% clear which side is right.

I was originally going to extend out the original cutscene to have a conversation between RG-41 and the Maru to establish all this but I didn't want to make the player wait too long to jump into the action, especially if they've had to play through it a few times. Plus, it would have given me one more voice to have to find!

Basically the Maru would have requested clearance to activate the jumpgate or something, mentioned its destination and cargo and then "wait... the vortex is blue... we didn't activate that" and BAM.

I may still fix all this in the future.

KevinLaity
Ensign
Ensign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16/2/2013, 14:23

It might be better if you have the Capitian of the Tripoli give the order "Destroy that ship before it gets away!", without letting the Maru have any chance to respond or surrender.

Most of the time it is better to keep it simple.

Or you could have the fighter pilots say something about "was that a good order?" or something like that.

Or you could just have the Maru say "This is a civilian transport we are not a ......BOOM!!!" and they are gone.

Back to top Go down

Post by dimitri on 7/12/2013, 18:02

Hmm. Unfortunately it looks like I was late to the party here, the download links lead to a site that has been shut down.
dimitri
Ensign
Ensign

Брой мнения : 3
Activity points : 12970

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinLaity on 8/12/2013, 12:12

Hi dimitri, I've re-uploaded the zip to a new file host! Sorry about that!

KevinLaity
Ensign
Ensign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dimitri on 11/12/2013, 06:37

Thanks! Will download this today and try it out. The other missions that I've tried (Dirty Trick Squad aka The Good Guys, Believers, and Epiphany (the fight against Black Omega)) make me want more B5...

UPDATE: Downloaded and installed! Here we go...

Last edited by dimitri on 11/12/2013, 11:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Got the download :))
dimitri
Ensign
Ensign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oh man... here comes the reply!

Post by dimitri on 11/12/2013, 11:38

First off... THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

That was an amazing mission. Personally, the synth voices don't kill it for me and the mission was just complicated enough to leave me wanting more.

Second, you let me pilot a more advanced Starfury? Yes please!

Third, let me know if you are still interested in getting help for this. Are you working on anything else? Did you still need people to do voice acting?
dimitri
Ensign
Ensign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shalbatana on 18/12/2013, 03:38

Link doesn't seem to be working again. I believe I already have the file and will upload it by the end of the week to my kiwi6 archive along with all the rest of the player missions. So if anyone is looking for this and the links in this thread don't work. Check there.

Security Chief
Security Chief

Брой мнения : 27
Activity points : 16292

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: